1. There are a number of ways to save water, and they all start with you.
2. When washing dishes by hand, don’t let the water run. Fill one basin with wash water and the other with rinse water.
3. Dishwashers typically use less water than washing dishes by hand. Now, Energy Star dishwashers save even more water and energy.
4. If your dishwasher is new, cut back on rinsing. Newer models clean more thoroughly than older ones.
5. Designate one glass for your drinking water each day, or refill a water bottle. This will cut down on the number of glasses to wash.
6. Soak pots and pans instead of letting the water run while you scrape them clean.
7. Use the garbage disposal sparingly. Instead, compost vegetable food waste and save gallons every time.
8. Wash your fruits and vegetables in a pan of water instead of running water from the tap.
9. Don’t use running water to thaw food. For water efficiency and food safety, defrost food in the refrigerator.
10. Install an instant water heater near your kitchen sink so you don’t have to run the water while it heats up. This also reduces energy costs.