Mechanical Engineers, Mechanical Engineering, PSME, Philippine Society of Mechanical Engineers, Philippines, Mechanical, ASME,

Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Register
Is it possible to split the fire pumps into 2 units instead of 1 unit?
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

8/4/2015 at 4:55:43 PM GMT
Is it possible to split the fire pumps into 2 units instead of 1 unit?

Hi Colleagues!

Just want to share some points to understand for the question that mainly of our designer doesn't know this point, is it possible to split the FIRE PUMPS into 2-Units instead of I-Unit?

Based on NFPA 20, 2013 Edition; it says;

4.7.1 Fire Pumps shall be dedicated to and listed for fire protection service;

4.7.2 Acceptable drivers for pumps at a single installation shall be electric motors, diesel engine, steam turbines or a combination thereof;

4.7.3 A pump shall not be equipped with more than one driver;

4.7.4 Each fire pump shall have its own dedicated driver unless otherwise permitted in 8.6.3.1

4.7.5 Each driver or water mist positive displacement pumping unit shall have its own dedicated controller;

4.7.6 The driver shall be selected in accordance with 9.5.2 (electric motors), 11.2.2 (diesel engines) or 13.1.2 (steam turbines) to provide the required power to operate the pump at rated speed and maximum pump load under any flow condition.

In practice as I have experienced for many times, it is allowed to have to split the Fire Pumps into 2-units instead of 1-unit, however, it is approved by your authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) during/from Design stage coordination and approval. For how many projects here in Qatar, it is authorized and approved by the QCDD.

How about in your area, is it possible? Just go through it and share your points.

Cheers!

Ronald 

9/18/2015 at 4:17:00 PM GMT
Fire Pump Requirement

I would like to give some thoughts regarding splitting the fire pumps into 2 units.

As fire Safety Practitioner/Consultant, PME and designer of fire protection system, we normally consider two things: The pressure and the volume minimum requirement for Class I, Class II and Class I & II

Splitting the fire pump into 2 can might still satisfy the pressure requirement, however it might not satisfy the volumetric requirement for the different classes prescribe in NFPA. One pump should satisfy this two major requirements and splitting into 2 means dividing the volume to be delivered and possibly will not comply the standard unless we design the pump twice its capacity. In effect, this is not economical or over design.

In Splitting the pumps into 2 you might also need to consider the change in pipe size for the suction and discharge

Some industries installed two pumps but one serve as spare meaning same capacity to comply with the minimum requirement of the standards.